As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
As chapter 4 begins, Paul commences the next section of his letter, the section that relates to the Christian life. He starts this with a reference to his situation, but this is not a reference that should generate pity, it is a reference that shows his example of putting his faith into action, resulting in his being in chains. It is as though he is saying that he knows full well the implications of what he is telling them to do; live lives worthy of their holy calling.
Source: Unity! | The Life Project
- Maturity Ephesians 4:7-16 Paul continues in this passage, moving on from unity in the Body of Christ into spiritual maturity. In verses 7-10, he discusses the fact that Jesus has risen to the highest position in the heavens, after having come all the way down to earth to be with us, to save us, to show us the way.[ more]
- Well? ” So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.”[more]
- Paul becomes practical Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need. Ephesians 4:25-28[ more]
- Big-boy thinking Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:29-32 [more]
- Love’s Perspective Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
We’ve now seen
Paul’s transition from general to more specific instruction, and we left off at the end of chapter 4 where it seemed that Paul was really getting to the point that he was describing love among believers as the main priority in Christian living. Now, in the first two verses of chapter five he confirms this impression with his brief comments on love, in what is really a bridge between instructional passages. [more]
- Watch It! But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.Ephesians 5:3-7Take a look at these verses again; see the things that Paul is telling us not to do? What is the common thread between all of them? [more]
The Life Project. 2016. Unity! | The Life Project. [ONLINE] Available at: https://lifereference.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/unity-5/. [Accessed 13 November 2016].